General Questions and Education
Is Hemp derived CBD oil legal?
Yes, the 2014 and 2018 Farm Bill Changed the legal status of hemp in the U.S. and the State(s) Department of Agriculture. Hill Top requires that all products sold are compliant with applicable laws and as such legal for sale.
What are cannabinoids?
- Cannabinoids are a group of fatty compounds found in hemp but also produced by other plants and even the human body. They are the primary chemical compounds produced by the cannabis plant. These nutrient compounds can help with sustaining normal immune and central nervous system functioning. There are more than 80 identified cannabinoids.
- A system within the human body called the endocannabinoid system (ECS) has receptors that these compounds fit into, using cannabinoids to help support cells and healthy system function, despite fluctuations in our external environment.* Think of the cannabinoids being the key, and the receptors being the lock.
- Hemp produces more than 80 different phytocannabinoids naturally. Of the 80+ non-psychoactive phytocannabinoids, Cannabidiol (CBD) is the most widely known. Others include Cannabigerol (CBG), Cannabichromene (CBC) & more.
- In some instances, Hill Top Med’s uses a unique assortment of hemp’s phytocannabinoids, plus terpenes, flavonoids, and other valuable hemp compounds to support the body.* This can be found in our whole plant products and oils.
What is the Endocannabinoid System?
- The Endocannabinoid System (ECS) is a collection of cell receptors within any given mammal’s body. Scientists discovered this system in the 1990s.
- Phytoannabinoids work with the mammalian Endocannabinoid System (ECS), which is a vast receptor system that helps support homeostasis and health.* This receptor system exists in the immune system, the central nervous system, and within many organs throughout the body. The ECS accepts our bodies’ own endocannabinoids as well as the phytocannabinoids found in hemp.
- The ECS is designed to help cells and healty system function, despite fluctuations in our external environment.*
- The ECS supports various biological tasks, including energy & balance, immune function, memory, metabolism, sleep, and the function of the autonomic nervous system.*
- A phytocannabinoid is a compound that fits into a phytocannabinoid receptor. Hemp produces over 80 different cannabinoids that work to support the endocannabinoid system.*
- Hill Top’s Tinctures and sleep spray are whole-plant extracts that include a range of beneficial compounds found in hemp, including phytocannabinoids and other phyto-compounds (such as terpenes and flavonoids) that work to support your health.*
- To support our bodies endocannabinoids, our natural phyto-cannabinoids can be introduced to support the ECS’s major receptors, CB1 and CB2. This helps to maintain proper balance.*
How does CBD work?
- Hemp has historically been in our diet and can be traced back to ancient civilizations, but was removed during prohibition.
- Cannabidiol (CBD), a non-intoxicating component of the cannabis plant, has generated significant interest among scientists and physicians in recent discovery endocannabinoid regulating system.
- Discovery of the endocannabinoid system in the 90s in a nutshell below and in more detail here (linked)
- Receptors found throughout our body, primarily in nervous system, but only activated through cannabinoids (CBD) found in cannabis – hemp in this case.
- Cannabidiol plays a huge role in maintaining and regulating this system
- Cannabidiol effects through multiple molecular pathways.
- The scientific literature has identified more than 65 molecular targets of Cannabidiol.
- Cannabidiol also acts through various receptor-independent pathways—for example, by delaying the “reuptake” of endogenous neurotransmitters (such as anandamide and adenosine) and by enhancing or inhibiting the binding action of certain G-protein coupled receptors.
Full Spectrum Hemp Derived CBD vs. Isolate CBD
- Full Spectrum (Whole Plant)
- When a CBD product is referred to as full-spectrum, it means it’s comprised of the whole plant, including the 85 different phytocannabinoids (CBD, CBD, CBD, CBCV, etc…) as well as omega-3 fatty acids, terpenes, vitamins and amino acids.
- The end nutritional variety is of the plant profile.
- Full spectrum is Cannabidiol as nature intended, with a full nutritional profile. Full spectrum can be used in food and food-related products.
- CBD isolate is simply CBD, purified and separated from any other cannabinoids found in the source plant. Both forms have nutritional and topical benefits. Isolate is THC Free with the power of CBD, often used in highly concentrated products.
What is the difference between industrial hemp and pharmaceutical grade hemp?
- Pharmaceutical grade is standardized and must contain 99%+ CBD isolate.
- Hemp-derived CBD in the health market can also meet these levels in an isolate product.
What is the difference between CBD and THC?
- Until recently, the most well-known compound in cannabis was delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). This is the most active ingredient in marijuana.
- Marijuana contains both THC and CBD, but the compounds have different effects.
- THC is well-known for the mind-altering “high” it produces when broken down by heat and introduced into the body, such as when smoking the plant or cooking it into foods.
- Unlike THC, CBD is not psychoactive. This means that it does not change the state of mind of the person who uses it. However, it does appear to produce significant changes in the body and has been found to have medical benefits.
- Most of the CBD used medicinally is found in the least processed form of the cannabis plant, known as hemp.
- Hemp and marijuana come from the same plant, cannabis sativa, but they are very different.
- Over the years, marijuana farmers have selectively bred their plants to be very high in THC and other compounds that interested them, either for a smell or an effect they had on the plant’s flowers.
- THC is the main psychoactive component of the marijuana plant. In other words, THC is the primary agent responsible for creating the “high” feeling associated with marijuana use. This compound works by imitating the effects of anandamide, a neurotransmitter produced naturally by the human body to help modulate sleeping and eating habits, as well as the perception of pain.
- CBD has the same chemical formula as THC, but the atoms are arranged differently. This slight variance causes THC to create a psychoactive effect while CBD lacks such an influence.
- CBD accounts for up to 40 percent of cannabis extract. Its plentiful nature, coupled with its failure to produce a “high” effect, make it a strong candidate for medical applications.
What are the side effects of CBD?
There shouldn’t be any real health concerns when taking Hemp CBD. Aside from dry mouth, Hemp CBD is likely to be safe. It is recommended that you consult with your physician before starting with CBD if you have a serious disorder or illness, or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Will I get high or feel any type of intoxication?
There is no euphoric high or sensation
How is Hemp derived CBD regulated?
The Agricultural Act of 2014 and 2018, Legitimacy of Industrial, defines industrial hemp as distinct from marijuana and hemp is no longer considered a drug. There are currently no federal guidelines for Hemp CBD products, but the FDA is in the process of defining use and labels.
How is Hemp CBD harvested from the cannabis plant where it works like a medicine, yet not causing the “high” of marijuana (THC)?
- Harvesting does not have an effect on the THC level of the Hemp CBD. The THC level is determined based on the genetics of the plant. Hemp CBD that is produced from the Hemp plant, in compliance with the Federal Farm Bill, has been bred to generate low levels of THC (i.e. below 0.3%).
- Once the plant is processed, additional steps are taken to further remove THC in order to bring it to lower levels. Hemp CBD Isolate, for example, generally has Hemp CBD levels of 99% or greater with 0.0% THC.
- The health properties of the plant come from nature. Hemp CBD has been in use for well over 10,000 years. The health properties and the ability to interact with our internal systems provide the health properties that we look for.
What is the Entourage Effect?
- The theory that taking the entire spectrum of natural chemicals found in cannabis is more beneficial than only taking a single molecule compound.
- Hill Top’s tinctures and sleep spray are whole-plant extracts that include a variety of phytochemicals. These beneficial compounds include a range of phytocannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids.
What is cannabidiol (CBD)?
- Cannabidiol (CBD), is a non-psychoactive phytocannabinoid. Phytocannabinoids are chemical compounds found in hemp plants. There are over 80 different phytocannabinoids.
- Research shows significant potential for phytocannabinoids to support health & wellness.* Hemp contains other beneficial phytocannabinoids.
What is Hemp Oil?
- Hemp Oil is the essential oil produced from the leaves, buds, and stem of the hemp plant. Hemp oil can be extracted by both mechanical and chemical means. In the extraction process, the oil retains a range of the phytocannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids found naturally in hemp. Oil that comes from only the seeds of hemp— hemp seed oil — does not include all of the same plant compounds and is primarily composed of dietary fats.
- Hill Top’s Tinctures and sleep spray contain a whole plant hemp extract with a broad spectrum of phytocannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids. Phytocannabinoids are phyto-compounds produced by the hemp plant. Cannabinoids work with the mammalian Endocannabinoid System (ECS), which is a vast receptor system to support homeostasis and health.* It exists in the internal system, many organs, and the central nervous system. The ECS accepts our bodies’ internal endocannabinoids as well as the phytocannabinoids found in hemp.
- Hill Top’s products are available without a prescription and sold or shipped to all 50 states.
How should I store my product?
Our products do not need to be refrigerated. We recommend storing your product anywhere that isn’t exposed to constant light and or heat. Your cupboard should work just fine.
How should I use the included dropper to administer the Hemp Oil?
Our tinctures come with an included dropper for easy use. Keeping the dropper clean and void of any bacteria is essential for your health and the preservation of the hemp extract. If you choose to use the dropper for oral application, take special care to keep it from coming in contact with the interior and exterior of your mouth. It is recommended that you clean the dropper after each use, especially if it comes in contact with your mouth, with an alcohol swab to ensure proper storage of the product.
Will I fail a drug test?
- With our isolate products – you should not fail a drug test as the product does not contain THC. However, when it comes to our whole plant hemp products (tinctures and sleep spray), much like the consumption of poppy seeds may lead to a positive drug test for opioids, the consumption of certain hemp products may lead to a positive drug test for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
- THC is inherently present in trace amounts in hemp plants. The legal limit of THC in hemp is no more than 0.3%. Furthermore, the underlying science behind the conversion of certain cannabinoids, for example, cannabidiol (CBD), when consumed, to other related cannabinoids, for example THC, is not yet fully understood. Although the risk is low, individual biochemistry, the possibility of conversion of cannabinoids and the possibility of trace, but legal, amounts of THC inherent in hemp products, we strongly suggest consulting your health care provider before consuming any hemp products if you are subject to drug testing.
What is Hemp CBD oil?
- Hemp CBD is short for cannabidiol. It is a prominent and strong phytocannabinoid found in hemp and known for supporting body and mind in many ways.
- Hemp CBD specifically comes from the flowers and leaves of the hemp plant. (Not to be confused with oil that comes from hemp seeds, which contain no cannabinoids.)
- Why it works – The human body has a vast network of receptors, called the endocannabinoid system, which helps us maintain overall wellness and keep many of our physical processes moving in the right direction. Hemp CBD fits into the receptors, helping the body complete in its efforts to keep us in good health. Learn more about the endocannabinoids system. (have this link to our Endocannabinoid FAQ)
Hill Top's Products
What is our Dirt to DoseTM?
- Hemp – Our hemp is ONLY US grown with organic growing practices and tested for heavy metals, pesticides, and chemicals.
- Extraction -We extract our CBD and other cannabinoids using only clean methods – avoiding any toxins or harmful bi-products.
- Manufacturing -Products are produced in FDA and OTC registered facilities at some of the highest quality plants in the United States.
- Pure Potency -When products are finalized we ensure purity by triple testing and even offering you, the consumer, the chance to pull up the Certificate of Analysis (COA) specific to the product you purchased within our Quality page.
What types of issues can Hill Top products help with?
Hill Top’s products are formulated so that across our product set we have aides for pain, general wellness, sleep and relaxation, and joint and muscle strength, health, and mobility infused with hemp.*
What is the cost for a monthly supply?
The cost of a monthly supply depends on what type of product you’re purchasing and frequency of use. However, on average the cost will likely range from $40 – $80.
How long until I feel Hill Top’s benefits?
This depends on the product being purchased as it ranges across our product set. For example, there are a few extremes.
- Our pain spray has almost instant relief
- By contrast, our tinctures and capsules have an overtime effect where it may take a few weeks to begin to feel these longer lasting effects.
Are there any side effects?
There is no known or common side effects if the product is taken in its recommended dose. However, if the user is taking quantities well over the recommended dose, this can cause stomach issues.
Is Hill Top certified organic?
Currently the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not provide organic certifications for the cultivation of hemp nor hemp-derived products. However, our 100% U.S. grown hemp is cultivated, harvested, and processed with a strict adherence to all organic standards and practices.
Is Hill Top gluten free?
Yes, all our products are 100% gluten-free
Are Hill Top products responsibly grown & harvested?
Yes. We source all our hemp from farms in the US only and our goal is to provide value for each of our suppliers and partners throughout our supply chain.
What is the shelf life of Hill Top products?
The plant materials and other ingredients in our products tend to very stable. In most instances, production carries a two-year date. For this reason, our labels carry a two year from date of manufacture recommendation.
Are Hill Top products 3rd party tested?
Yes. The hemp extract used in each of our products is tested by independent laboratories which provide us with Certificates of Analysis (COAs) documenting purity and quality test results. Furthermore, our products are formulated and manufactured by FDA-certified facilities which are licensed at the state and federal government level to meet all necessary regulatory and food industry standards.
What is the right product for me?
- Hill Top products are of the highest quality in the industry and at any strength, you can feel confident that you will be giving your body the support it needs.
- If you are new to using Hemp CBD, you might like to try the 50mg capsules or 500mg tincture. It is a great introduction to the qualities found in our products at an affordable price and both products are easy to take.
- If you have tried Hill Top’s Hemp CBD products in the past, regularly consume Hemp CBD products, have a generally active lifestyle, or are just looking for higher quantities of phytocannabinoids and phytochemicals, 1000mg tincture is perfect for you. We also recommend using our product finder tool to help guide you further (link to product finder)
How do I know I am buying quality products and why should I choose Hill Top?
- Hill Top’s seed-to-shelf quality is carefully backed by science, research, and testing at the highest level. Additional third-party analytical testing ensures quality every step of the way.
- We test and validate:
- Premium hemp genetics
- Hemp growing and harvesting practices on family farms in the U.S.
- CO2 extraction and processing in FDA and ISO facilities
- Hemp derived CBD oils or powders before formulation and production
- Batch formula prior to packaging in GMP and FDA plants with the final product going to your home
- We use only the best U.S. grown hemp and practice the most strictly regulated testing procedures in the industry and is grown and extracted under the strict guidelines of the Farm Bills.
- As the final step we only use product manufactures that are OTC and/or FDA registered.
Is CBD Safe for athletes?
Yes, Hemp CBD is safe for athletes. In fact, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the United States Anti-Doping Agency have removed CBD from the list of banned substances. Because of CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties, it is being used by athletes before and after training and events.
Shipping, Payment, and Processing
How long does it take to get my order?
Shipping times vary depending on destination. Most orders are received within 3-5 days from the date payment was processed.
Do you ship internationally?
No. Please check the status of our policy for shipping internationally frequently as laws governing the importing and sale of hemp products are changing quickly in overseas markets.
What is your return policy?
If you are not fully satisfied with your purchase, you may request a full refund on the purchase price within 30 days.
What are my payment options?
We process Visa, Master Card or American Express for your convenience
When will my order be proceed?
- Orders received Monday through Friday will be processed within 24 hours of receipt. (Processing time does not include weekend days or holidays)
- Orders placed on Saturday and Sunday will be processed on the following Monday.
- Orders placed with Priority shipping (Overnight or 2nd Day Service) will be processed the same day if received by noon EST (excluding weekends).
- Orders are processed and shipped on business days only (Monday through Friday, excluding major holidays)
Must be 18 to purchase and have product shipped
- View complete policy here.